Headaches types and treatment at Well Adjusted Minnesota
Headaches are a very common complaint that patients have in our office. Through gentle soft tissue and chiropractic techniques, we have had patients report less frequent and less intense headaches and, in some cases, complete resolution of their headaches. We see two main headache types and treatment has been shown to ease our patients pain and frequency of them!
The two most common headache types that come in our doors are:
- Tension Headaches
- Typically start out as tightness in the muscles of the neck or base of the skull.
- Pain and pressure can start in the back of the head and wrap around to the front or top of the head.
- Usually the discomfort is more intense over the temples or eyebrows/forehead.
- Typically the pressure is felt on both sides of the head.
- There is not a sensitivity to light, sound.
- Although uncomfortable, the discomfort is not debilitating.
- Migraine Headaches
- Throbbing or pounding pain is typical.
- Usually occurs on one side of the head.
- Pain can radiate toward the eyes, forehead, or temple
- The intensity is often debilitating making simple tasks very difficult.
- Triggered by some type of stress such as anxiety, hormones, or lack of sleep.
- Some people experience sensitivity to light, sound, vomiting, and/or nausea.
- Can produce vision changes know as auras.
As chiropractors, we have noticed that most patients experience relief from their headaches with regular chiropractic care. That being said, depending on the type of headache, there may be some additional stress factors that need to be addressed.
- Emotional stress
- Physical stress
- Environmental/chemical stress
Part of the recovery process is paying attention to how and when your headaches come on. This way you can determine if any of the above stressors are contributing to your headaches.
Chiropractic Treatment for Headaches
- Gentle soft tissue warm up is done to bring blood flow to the shoulders, neck and head.
- Specific stretches are performed to lengthen and release tight muscles surrounding the shoulders, neck and head.
- Gentle and specific chiropractic adjustments to the neck and upper back are performed.
- Taping is used to provide support and bring neurological awareness to the soft tissue.
- At home stretches and exercises are given.
Too many people have come to accept that having headaches is a part of who they are. We are here to offer help and provide relief. These two headaches types and treatment are a great combination to get you on the path toward decreasing or completely relieving your ongoing headaches.